Sioux Lookout Assault Care and Treatment Program :: If You Or A Friend Are In A Violent Relationship :: Assault Care & Treatment Program

If You Or A Friend Are In A Violent Relationship

What to do?

Should you get medical help?

Yes, you should go to the emergency department even if you feel they are minor injuries or you do not have any visible injuries. It may be helpful in the future to have your injuries documented even if you chose not to go to the police at this time.

We can provide you with:

  • care and treatment options
  • options regarding documentation of injuries
  • referrals to community partners

Should  you report to the police?

It is your choice if you want to report to the police.  We encourage you to do what you feel is best for you and your needs - not anyone else's.  If you do decide to report to the police and then change your mind about pressing charges, the police can still follow through and press charges against the assailant.

You are NOT responsible for:

  •  the assailant's behavior 
  • punishing the assailant 
  • any of the assailant's future behavior

What do you do if you decide to report to police?

  • Save any evidence you can.  Do not wash, bath or brush your teeth.  Do not change, wash or destroy your clothes.  Do not alter the area where the assault occured.
  • Call the police or come to the emergency department and we can call the police.
  • The police will require a detailed statement about the assault.  You can have family or a friend stay with you when you talk to the police.


You are not on trial even though you may feel like it.  You are a witness to a violent crime.  If the assailant is not charged it does not mean the assault did not happen or the assailant is not guilty.  It just means there was not enough evidence for the court case.