SEXUAL ASSAULT IS NEVER YOUR FAULT
NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TOUCH YOUR BODY
What is Sexual Assault?
- Sexual Assault is a crime of violence. It is a need for control and power.
- Sex is used as a weapon to manipulate, overpower and inflict pain upon another person.
- It can happen to men, women, boys, girls, elderly, homosexuals, heterosexuals and infants.
- It doesn't matter what you wear, how attractive you are, who you hang out with or whom you choose to have sex with.
Facts About Sexual Assault:
- In Canada a woman is sexually assaulted every 6 minutes
- 40% of sexual assaults occur in the individuals own home
- 80% of sexual assaults are perpetrated by someone the individual knows or loves
- 1 out 4 women and 1 out 8 men will be assaulted in their lifetime
- Only 16% of sexual assaults are reported to the police and only 2% result in a conviction
- 61% of sexual assaults occur before the age of 18 years
- Girls are sexually assaulted 3 times more often than boys
- 30% of all females who are sexually assaulted are also battered women
Reactions to Sexual Assault
Helplessness and Out of Control
I can't do anything. I want to cry all the time - it feels like I will never stop. I have no control over my life.
Shock and Disbelief
I feel numb all over. I was in a daze; like the whole thing happened to someone else. I keep wondering, did it really happen to me?
Guilt and Self Blame
I kept going over the whole thing again and again. Did I do something to deserve it, or I must have done something to provoke it. Why didn't I just stay home?
Embarrassment and Shame
I wonder what people think of me? I feel like everybody can tell what happened just by looking at me.
The terror was paralyzing. I was afraid I would be killed. I was too afraid to fight and I didn't know if I could run. Will (s)he come after me again?
Anger and Rage
I was so mad. I wanted to hurt him/her. I could kill him/her.
I can't do anything. I'll let others do it.
What's the use, life is miserable.
I feel used and worthless. I might as well be dead.
Myths Regarding Sexual Assault
"The individual asked for it"
No one asks to be sexually assaulted. The assailant is the one who committed the crime. They are responsible for their actions.
"Only bad girls get raped"
Individuals who are sexually assaulted are every age, build, sex, race and social class. Sexual assault is an act of violence.
"Women should stay at home"
40% of individuals, who report the incident, were in their own home at the time of the assault.
"Sexual assault occurs only with strangers"
80% of individuals knew their assailant in some way. This figure should probably be higher, as individuals are less likely to report when they know the assailant.
"No one can be raped against their will"
90% of reported cases involved a weapon or threat of death.
"Sexual assault occurs only in large cities"
Sexual assault happens in every area; rural, suburban and urban.
"Sexual assault in an impulsive, uncontrollable act of sexual gratification."
Sexual assault is a crime of violence. It is estimated that 75% of all sexual assaults are planned in advance, by the assailant.
"Only sick or insane men rape women"
Studies show that the men who rape women have a normal personality, but a much higher tendency to be aggressive and violent.